Monday, December 19, 2011 | By: Unknown

Review: The Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Title: Clockwork Angel
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Publication Date: August 2010
Genre: YA
Main Themes: Supernatural, Demonology, Orphans, Romance, & London (19th Century)
Pages: 476
Plot: (From Goodreads)

“Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.”


I have read this book before, but I really felt the need to reread it.  With Clockwork Prince being released this month I wanted to make sure I fully recalled all the important details that it held within its bountiful pages.   I could never forget the main story but Cassandra Clare likes to give hints as to what is coming next that you might not catch if you aren’t paying attention.  Therefore I got my refresher and I’m raring to move on to Clockwork Prince!

Clockwork Angel is a great spin off of the Mortal Instruments!  This tale is alluring and elaborate, truly masterful!  As I am a huge fan of the Mortal Instruments Series and I wish I could wipe out my memory to read them new again, I felt that this is my chance to do so.  That guess was spot on!  Even though there are some new and old characters and the world they are living in is SO different, the story that Clare tells is compulsively captivating, richly dark, and brutally unruly.

Cassandra Clare creates beautiful characters that you can relate to and admire.  I know that I could really relate to Tessa.  As I’m sure most readers would agree with me.  Tessa’s passion for reading is obviously something most readers will relate to.  But it is also her shyness and her gumption to be more like the characters from her favorite books.  Then there’s Will and Jem… Oh, how could you not fall for them!  Will is a tortured soul and a lot like Jace from M.I., but he might actually be a little crueler than Jace ever was.  Jem on the other hand is very different from Alec or Simon.  Nothing ever really gets under his skin, everything just washes over him, and he takes it with stride… he’s definitely the nice guy of the story. 

I felt this amazing tale deserved an A-, as it holds the beginning of a remarkably dark and enchanting story!  If you are a fan of Cassandra Clare and haven’t started this series- then you need to!  If you haven’t read any of Cassandra Clare’s novels yet- then you have to go pick one up and start it!  I promise you will be running back to the store to buy the next one!

My Rating: 19/20
Originality: 4
Plot: 5
Characters: 5
Writing Style: 5



0 comments:

Post a Comment