Tuesday, August 2, 2011 | By: Unknown

Blood Magic Review

Title: Blood Magic
Author: Tessa Gratton
Publisher: Random House
Publication Date: 2011
Genre: YA
Main Themes: Paranormal, Magic, Death, Romance, & Immortality
Pages: 405
Plot: ( From the dust jacket)

     "It starts off simply. 
     Draw a circle... place a dead leaf in the center... sprinkle some salt.. recite a little Latin...add  drop of blood...
     Maybe that last part isn't exactly simple.  Yet somehow it feels right to Silla Kennicott.  And nothing in her life has felt remotely right since her parents horrific deaths.  She's willing to do anything to uncover the truth about her family- even try a few spells from the mysterious book that arrived on her doorstep...and spill some blood.
     The book isn't the only recent arrival in Silla's life.  There's Nick Pardee, the new guy next door who may have seen Silla casting a spell.  She's not sure what he saw and is afraid to find out.  But as they spend more time together, Silla realizes that his may not be Nick's first encounter with blood magic.  Brought together by a combination of fate and chemistry Silla and Nick can't deny their attraction.  And they can't ignore the dark presence lurking nearby- waiting to reclaim the book and all it's power.
     Tessa Gratton's intoxicating first novel will keep pulses racing, minds reeling, and pages turning right up to the very last drop of blood."

     I was at a book signing at Borders for Maggie Stiefvater... while sitting in my seat making small talk with the two girls sitting behind me.  They let me in a little secret that the Borders staff didn't even realize, that Tessa Gratton was travelling with Maggie Stiefvater and would be a the signing as well.  I immediately jumped up to grab a copy of Blood Magic.  After all  I may not have read it yet but it was on my list of books  I wanted to read.  I knew if I didn't get it signed while I had the opportunity I would be so agitated with myself.  And I was right!
     I was drawn to this book for it's wickedly sinister cover.   I am so grateful because I absolutely treasured this book.  Blood Magic was increasingly dark and delicious while leaving you devoured on the edge of your seat.  The story was original, enticing, and extremely well written.  I loved Tessa's style of narration, the way it flipped between Silla, Nick, and the journal entries.  The journal entries especially gave a lot of insight to the story.
     The Characters really grab you and make you fear for them as they push their way though the story.  The Character development was realistic as you watched Silla turn from this quite, timid, and anxious girl to a real bad ass heroin.  But of course if it wasn't for Nick and her Brother, Reese,  she might not have had the courage and will power to see everything through to the end.
     I'm not going to lie... I anticipated who the protagonist of the tale was but I couldn't predict the twist and turns the story.  This book will still leave you asking for more up until you turn the last page and are desperate for the next edition.  I would highly suggest this book to anyone who doesn't have a weak stomach... not that it is really graphic...just really bloody.  But remember that is what really makes this an awesome book!  The next edition will be The Blood Keeper.

My Rating: 20/20
Originality: 5
Characters: 5
Writing Style: 5
Plot: 5

1 comments:

YA Book Queen said...

This book was most definitely well written, I adored the descriptions (and I think this book had the most blood references out of any book I've ever read, lol)

Nice review :D

Post a Comment