Sunday, August 7, 2011 | By: Unknown

The Goddess Test Review

Title: The Goddess Test
Author: Aimee Carter
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: 2011
Genre: YA
Main Themes: Mythology, Romance, Family Relations, & Death
Pages: 293
Plot: (From the Back of the book)
     
     "Every girl who has taken the test has died.   Now it's Kate's turn.
     It's always been Kate and her mom-and her mother is dying.  Her last wish?  To move back to her childhood home.  So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and her fear her mother won't live past the fall.
     Then she meets Henry.  Dark.  Tortured.  And mesmerizing.  He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld-and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
     Kate is sure he's crazy-until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead.  Now saving her mother seems crazily possible.  If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.  If she fails..."


    Again I was drawn to the cover...amazingly gorgeous!  Then I read the plot, I was so excited it took place in Northern Michigan.  I knew I had to read it!  I was captivated; I didn't want to put it down.  Now that I'm finished I can't wait for the next installment, Goddess Interrupted.   
     I want to start off by saying that this is a modern twist to Greek mythology especially the story of Hades and Persephone.  It is not based entirely on the original story or stories you may know about Greek mythology.  So if you read this book with an open mind I would think you would enjoy it and possibly what will come.  If you are stuck on the original Greek stories then you will not enjoy this book because what you already know of the characters will be different.
      With that said the plot line of this story was Original and mesmerizing!  It was a slow start but I felt it was all necessary to the story.  It truly was the perfect build up to the last half of the book.  When I reached the end of the story I was stunned.  The twists and turns in this story are positively magical and the outcome is miraculously intertwined.
     The relationships in this book were so realistic and appealing.  I do believe that everyone could find a character and a correlation that they could relate with.  In the beginning the main tie is between Kate and her mother, Diana.  Aimee Carter really captured the love one feels for their mom.  But then Henry enters the picture and together Henry and Kate develop an alluring and radiant attachment.
     The roles and personalities in this novel were absolutely exceptional.  Kate was the strong female lead.  She was just as utterly rational as she was earnestly thoughtful and considerate.  Of course it wouldn't have been a good read if Kate wasn't also persevering and chivalrous.  Then there was also Henry, the god of the underworld, who was tortured, terrifying, and grim.  But when it came to Kate, he started by being respectful and caring.  Apprehension set in that made him unsure of how close to her he wanted to become.  Kate helped wash away those feelings to reveal that Henry was tender and sentimental.   
     I graded this book an A+, because I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Once I started reading I could not put it down…if I did out it down then I couldn’t stop thinking about finishing it until I picked it back up again.  I would highly encourage this book to other readers.  I really can’t wait for the next edition of Goddess Interrupted!

My Rating: 20/20
Originality: 5
Characters: 5
Plot: 5
Writing Style: 5

0 comments:

Post a Comment