Thursday, November 10, 2011 | By: Unknown

The Hunger Games Review

Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publication Date: October 2008
Genre: YA
Main Themes: Romance, Survival, Hunting, Family, & Death
Pages: 374
Plot: (From the Dust Jacket)
     “Could you survive on your own in the wild, with every one out make sure you don’t live to see the morning?
     In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts.  The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
     Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regard it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sisters place in the Games.  But Katniss has been close to dead before- and survival, for her, is second nature.  Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender.  But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.”

     The Hunger Games was absolutely astonishing, truly a remarkable and transfixing read!  Once I started it I couldn’t put it down, literally I was up all night reading it.  Even though it was printed and released three years ago it still has a lot of hype.  Now I see that all the excitement over these books is rightly worth it. 
      The world Suzanne Collins created is one that is cruel and run down by a tyrant government system.  But really I haven’t read anything that would even equate to The Hunger Games; I feel that this story is one that will stand out on its own for generations to come! 
The plot in this epic tale was one that held suspense that made you sit at the edge of your seat biting your finger nails, romance that compares to star-crossed lovers, and brutal deaths that will make you cry as well as want vengeance. 
     Suzanne Collins couldn’t have created better characters for this story, she painted them out perfectly, and I could imagine each and every single one of them.  Of course I’m sure that I am no different than anyone else when I say that Katniss was my all time favorite.  I don’t know how anyone else could say differently.  She was fierce, strong, stubborn, and stood for what she believed in.  She held her emotions in check, for the most part.  Katniss is sacrificial but also a true survivor.  Then there’s Peeta, the guy who himself continues protect Katniss at all costs throughout the games, even if it could mean forfeiting to her at the end.  I felt that you couldn’t help but love him throughout the story; he just has way too many likeable qualities.
     Overall I gave this wonderfully gripping novel an A+.  I mean, I don’t know how you couldn’t fall in love with these books!  This book had me crying as well as screaming and cursing certain characters for being heartless and bull headed.  If I can get that passionate about a story then I obviously had to care for it.  Again I’m positive that I am right with all Hunger Games fan when I say I can’t wait for the movie to come out next year.  Until then I have to get started on the next book Catching Fire.

My Rating: 20/20
Originality: 5
Plot: 5
Characters: 5
Writing Style: 5

I want to include the new trailor, it looks amazing!  So I wanted to share...I hope you enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment