Monday, October 17, 2011 | By: Unknown

Bloodlines Review

Title: Bloodlines
Author: Richelle Mead
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: August 2011
Genre: YA
Main Themes: Vampires, Alchemists, Romance, Tattoos, & Magic
Pages: 421
Plot: (From the Dust Jacket)

"I wasn't free of my past, not yet.

Sydney' blood is special.  That's because she's an alchemist-one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires.  They live to protect vampire secrets- and human lives.  But the last encounter Sydney had with vampires got her in deep trouble with the other alchemists.  And now with her allegiances in question, her future is on the line.

When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway.  But what unfolds is far worse.  Jill Dragomir- the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir- is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding.  To avoid a civil war, Syndey is called upon to act as Jill's guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the unlikeliest of places: a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California.  The last thing Sydney wants to be accused of sympathizing with vampires.  And now she has to live with one.

The Moroi court believe Jill and Sydney will be safe at Amberwood Prep, but threats, distractions, and forbidden romance lurk both outside- and within- the school grounds. Now that they're in hiding, the drama is only just beginning."

 When I finished the last novel from the Vampire Academy Series, Last Sacrifice, I was so thrilled with the story and I honestly felt heartbroken to say goodbye to all the characters that I had loved.  But I also was left with so many questions that I wondered how it could end there.  I didn’t want it to be left to my imagination, I wanted closure and Richelle Mead delivered all that and more in Bloodlines! 

Vampire Academy had provoked me to read Bloodlines.  As I knew that it was a spin off from Vampire Academy, I pined for answers that were not given in Last Sacrifice.  This novel was the answer.  Until the last page was turned I was utterly engrossed, I found this book to be absolutely absorbing, mesmerizing, and truly remarkable!

The story starts pretty much where Vampire Academy left off, and this time Sydney is the main character.  Of course Adrian is there too, along with Eddie, Jill, and there are mentions of Rose and Dimitri.  Sydney was the same uptight girl in VA as she was in Bloodlines, only you get to see her adapt and develop.  Sydney starts as a tense and timid alchemist with no back bone but blossoms into a vivacious, persistent, resolute, and sociable person.  I loved Adrian….although throughout the VA series I was always a Team Dimitri fan when it came to Rose, but I thoroughly enjoyed his wittiness and his charming sense of humor.  I hope to see Sydney get over her chauvinistic views of Moroi and magic, and open her eyes to Adrian.  After all the suffering that Adrian has gone through I think he deserves someone to return his affections!

I gave this book an A+ as I felt it was the perfect spinoff to the Vampire Academy Series and I really can’t wait to see what else is in store for our ‘family’ in rest of the series.  Book #2, The Golden Lily is scheduled to be released June 19, 2012.  Oh, I can’t wait!

My Rating: 20/20
Originality: 5
Plot: 5
Characters: 5
Writing Style: 5

3 comments:

YA Book Queen said...

Everyone seems to be loving this book, I so need to snag a copy of my own soon!

Wonderful review, Mindy! :)

Racquel (A Book Barbie) said...

Like you, I can't wait either which is why I'm waiting a little bit before I start Bloodlines! maybe until book 3 is out or something... (if I last that long;D)

Sydney has always been a favorite of mine and of course, who doesn't love Adrian (eve though I'm team Dimitri for ROSE) you're totally right, I think in the last book the one who suffered the most is Adrian, lost his great aunt, lost his love and he has to put up with so much crap so when I heard their is a spin off surrounding him I died from happiness.

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, I know some people found it boring & slow and it makes me kind of wary but come on! who can give a book 2 stars if it has Adrian in it?!

Great review:D

-thank you&come again.

Anonymous said...

I've always liked Adrian. Poor guy. I think I still like Rose better. I don't know why, I think it's because she's the character to begin with the whole Vampire Academy journey. The Bloodlines sounds great, but I still miss Rose more. It's sad I'm attached to Rose too much. Great review! Thank you for sharing, Mindy!

Samual

Post a Comment