Sunday, October 23, 2011 | By: Unknown

Tempest Review

Title: Tempest
Author: Julie Cross
Publisher: St. Martin’s Griffin
Publication Date: January 17, 2012
Genre: YA
Main Themes: Time Travel, Romance, Twins, Adoption,
Pages: 334
Plot: (From Goodreads)

“The year is 2009.  Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.

That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future.

Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities.

But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler.  Recruit… or kill him.

Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.”

Again I was thrilled to walk up to my door and find another Arc waiting for me!  I opened it up and was so excited to see Tempest inside that I immediately started reading it.  There is already so much hype about this book and I have heard many good things… I believe the story lived up to the high standards that were set.

I found Tempest to be gripping, dynamic, and vigorous!  It was really one of those books that kept me up all night thinking just one more chapter… then before I knew it the last page was turned and I was devastated that I have to wait over a year the next edition ( expected to hit the shelves in January 2013)! 

I was worried that there might be a few issues that I would have trouble with, my first concern was that I would get confused between the time jumps and get lost in the story.  The second was that I wouldn’t be able to grasp the scientific theories that were given to describe Jackson’s time jumps but I found that these troubles were definitely not an issue.  I found that each chapter held a time, date, and year; which helped me tremendously.  Honestly, Julie Cross has many theories in this book but they are put into layman’s terms, so they are easily understood and very realistic. This story was exceptionally well written, and beautifully unique.

I loved that Tempest was told through a male perspective, it added so much more to the story and I feel that Jackson will be everyone’s favorite character from this series.  Jackson starts as the average 19 year old, he develops lot in this tale and I believe you will find that Jackson is charming, admirable, and loyal.  When he gets thrown back into 2007, Jackson discovers many secrets and conspiracies that make this book tremendously captivating and suspenseful.  He also tracks down Holly and his romance with her is altogether alluring and enticing.  Unfortunately Jackson is left with the ultimate decision and his choice is truly heartbreaking as well as tear-jerking.

I rated this book an A+, as I was compelled and engrossed by this tale.  I would highly suggest checking out this book as I do believe that readers out there will sincerely adore it just as much as I did.  On January 17, 2012 this amazing novel will be released and I do hope you will pick it up!

My rating: 20/20
Originality: 5
Plot: 5
Characters: 5
Writing Style: 5

0 comments:

Post a Comment